Here’s the thing about Cyclops:
He’s not the best. He’s got one superpower, it’s useful under very limited circumstances, and it doesn’t even work right.
He’s not the coolest. In fact, he’s definitively uncool—not even a boy scout so much as a well-meaning martinet. He’s really not even all that interesting.
He’s not good with people, including himself. He’s a dick a lot of the time, and he has the relative social grace of a geranium. He was basically raised in a paramilitary group; he literally has no idea how to function in the real world.
As a person, he’s kind of irreparably broken in ways that go way beyond the brain damage.
He has no illusions to the contrary.
He leads the X-Men—not because he has any illusions about his skills or likability, but because someone has to. He puts himself in the line of fire because that’s what being responsible for people means, and makes decisions that’ll get him hated because they’re decisions that have to be made. He fucks up and fucks up and fucks up, and apologizes, and rebuilds, and learns, and grits his teeth and dives back in to fuck up some more.
He does this in hopes of building a world that will, realistically, have no place for him; leading or working under people whose expectations for him are flat-out impossible to meet and who hold him accountable every time he fails to live up to them.
And he keeps doing it.
And doing it.
And doing it.
That’s why Cyclops is my favorite. Not because he’s cool. Not because he’s likable, or because he’s the boss, or because he’s even particularly sympathetic. Because he tries so. goddamn. hard.
(I will also admit that I’m writing this as a socially stunted former wunderkind with major trust and control issues who grew up in a pressure-cooker environment, married my childhood sweetheart, and now have a job that often hinges on my willingness to make unpopular calls. Identifying with Scott Summers is not a huge stretch for me; we take our metaphors where we can get ‘em.)
- amandaistheantichrist likes this
- ambushed-bug reblogged this from postcardsfromspace
- grudheap likes this
- roseblight reblogged this from postcardsfromspace
- sir-moss-of-mossington reblogged this from postcardsfromspace
- debtsandredledgers reblogged this from buckypls
- buckypls reblogged this from postcardsfromspace
- casinogrande likes this
- arcanelibrarian likes this
- malevolentcosmicentity reblogged this from postcardsfromspace
- niwandajones likes this
- sex-coffee-and-comicbooks likes this
- kunstgriff reblogged this from postcardsfromspace
- sockich reblogged this from seananmcguire
- kunstgriff likes this
- adampknave reblogged this from postcardsfromspace and added:
- saint-rocket reblogged this from doktorvondoom
- offcenterfold likes this
- stingstress-is-lame likes this
- x-beni-o2-x likes this
- tokisaysrawr likes this
- soberloki likes this
- lupinletroisieme reblogged this from ravagingmarvel
- arcadianblue reblogged this from doktorvondoom
- syntheticfail reblogged this from demoiselledefortune and added:
- king-mateo likes this
- isitsummersalready reblogged this from doktorvondoom
- nexra likes this
- imafreakything likes this
- marlo-noni likes this
- deadpoolcorps likes this
- angryampersand likes this
- redlore likes this
- dangerouslyratedm reblogged this from demoiselledefortune
- dangerouslyratedm likes this
- cygnaut likes this
- demoiselledefortune reblogged this from doktorvondoom
- demoiselledefortune likes this
- sassclops likes this
- verylisa likes this
- trollunge likes this
- ravenoushyenaface likes this
- scottishwookiee reblogged this from doktorvondoom
- scottishwookiee likes this
- 3-lines likes this
- stefiman reblogged this from doktorvondoom
- doktorvondoom reblogged this from blackgoliath
- zilly-pill reblogged this from catsuitmonarchy and added:
- riding-on-nukes reblogged this from blackgoliath