I’m not sure I understand this. If they’re being rude then sure, they can fuck right off. But if someone politely says hello and wants to talk because you look interesting or something, I don’t see why anyone should take offense. I’ve had lovely chats with strangers at bus stops and this makes it feel like others want to lump those people in with the construction workers that yell “shake that ass” when I pass.
Very sorry if I’m misinterpreting this.
If a stranger is not engaged in an activity and they generally look receptive to meeting people (for example they are making eye contact with those around them), then yeah, totes okay to start a conversation. (And if they do not respond to the conversation-starter, then that person needs to drop it and move on without further comment)
This illustration is showing someone who is engaged in an activity, not doing anything to be social (in fact, they are being anti-social by being absorbed in their work and wearing headphones), and most especially they are not making eye contact. These are signs that this person has no interest in talking with anyone else, even if that person really, really wants to meet them.
I get men doing this to me all. the. time. They may think they’re being “polite” but it is honestly really rude, especially when they insist on sticking around even after I will not respond to them and militantly will not make eye contact. Sometimes they’ll keep calling after me even after I silently get up and move seats. Their tone of voice may not be threatening, but their actions are completely disrespecting the fact that I am clearly already engaged in an anti-social activity that does not involve interacting with other people and they are displaying their sense of entitlement to have access to me by insisting on interrupting. This behavior isn’t necessarily to the same extreme as construction workers that catcall, but it is still in the same category of behavior— that category being: Regardless of whether you are interested in me or not, I have decided you will interact with me because I desire it.
Why don’t I just tell these men to go away? Because I’m afraid actively engaging with them will set them off, make them become overtly aggressive. They already do not respect me enough to leave me alone when I am engaged in my own, anti-social activity (reading or drawing), they already feel entitled to my attention and time simply because they find me attractive, I don’t want to test how deeply their entitlement/potential-misogyny runs by speaking back to them with something they don’t want to hear. If I directly tell them to leave me alone (reject them), maybe they’ll simply call me a bitch or maybe they’ll threaten me or maybe they’ll follow and attack me— it’s not a gamble I want to take a chance on. The only way for me to not provoke them is to keep my trap shut, not make eye contact, and get away from them as soon as I can.
I’d add that often—particularly if you happen to be wearing headphones or focused intently on something—the intrusion is physical as well as verbal.
Being approached by someone with so little regard for obvious boundaries isn’t just irritating; it’s really scary, for all the reasons Erika describes and more.
- skeletonbubble likes this
- jennydied reblogged this from samorchard and added:
- theholmesonfire likes this
- salazaranmeris likes this
- smilewithmeh0ney likes this
- sagasandtales likes this
- taaywh0re likes this
- taaywh0re reblogged this from frankie-wolf
- frankie-wolf reblogged this from likeneelyohara
- skipandrave reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- skullfly reblogged this from size10plz and added:
- galactical reblogged this from wraiths
- whoyou1992 reblogged this from thunderousemotion and added:
- toiletdemon reblogged this from misandry-mermaid
- lettuceburnone likes this
- yuekulele reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- jjrawr reblogged this from we-all-drown
- mahlon reblogged this from likeneelyohara
- anderlynn likes this
- blacklondon reblogged this from ellenkeepsitclean
- anyen-dutou likes this
- celestialwhimsy reblogged this from littlebattle
- calismangin likes this
- boobitch likes this
- paintbrushbangs likes this
- mmmmilk likes this
- serenacolada reblogged this from littlebattle
- littlebattle reblogged this from witchmoss
- littlebattle likes this
- tamptildeath reblogged this from witchmoss
- kaylaxvx reblogged this from witchmoss
- losingyourmemory reblogged this from count-vulvula
- thriftorama likes this
- dandylionblood likes this
- weirdstorm likes this
- internalravings likes this
- threeinchesofair likes this
- teenytinychild likes this
- witchmoss reblogged this from count-vulvula
- count-vulvula reblogged this from cuntqueens
- paigeylovesyou reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- gmarik reblogged this from vpiecefulmind
- chioland reblogged this from theyoungsocialist
- capciosa reblogged this from despicable-g
- electricbl0nde reblogged this from anarchy-my-dear
- anarchy-my-dear reblogged this from trust-in-fear
- trust-in-fear reblogged this from cuntented
- indoomitably reblogged this from we-all-drown
- alexandraslopec reblogged this from despicable-g